Ground anchors mobilize dead loads deep in the ground in order to resist forces that would otherwise require large gravity foundations.
They help secure huge structures like major dams by improving slope stabilization and by preventing overturning caused by excessive flood levels.
They can also allow a reduction in costs in the construction phase when installed for either temporary or permanent stabilization.
VSL’s anchoring systems can be divided into two main categories – strand and bar anchors. Their characteristics depend on whether they are tensioned or not, used for rock or soil, and whether they are for temporary or permanent use.
As far as technologies are concerned, VSL offers a full range of ground anchor solutions, from basic unstressed temporary bar nails to sophisticated post-tensioned electrically isolated strand anchors that can be monitored.
The type of ground anchor to be used depends on: the application, the design, the corrosiveness of the environment, the presence of stray electrical currents and the permanent corrosion protection system required.
VSL provides a comprehensive range of services, including in particular:
- Drilling that requires specialist know-how and must follow strict site procedures;
- Anchor testing to confirm the suitability of a particular anchor design in given ground conditions;
- Monitoring of electrical isolation where electrically isolated anchors are used, to check the integrity of the polyethylene (PE) duct encapsulation and the condition of the corrosion-protection barrier;
- Stressing anchors to their working load;
- Testing of bar anchors to determine the external anchor resistance and to demonstrate the bond capacity between the anchor and the soil or rock;
- Load monitoring and maintenance throughout the structure’s life, on a continuous or a periodic basis.
VSL’s ground anchors comply with current international standards, including the prevailing European Norm, ASTM, Australian and British Standards and Security Industry Association.
A design, procurement & build package including:
- Pre-design and consultancy services to engineers and contractors
- Prefabrication and delivery to site
- Assistance with installation, grouting and supervision
- Execution of stressing operations including anchor and bar testing
- Monitoring and maintenance
- De-tensioning and anchor removal
- Optional rental of equipment such as jacks, pumps, mixers and torque wrenches