Nuclear containment seismic protection: What is at stake?
Natural hazards, and especially earthquakes, could potentially have major impacts on nuclear plants and severe consequences for people and the environment. When the nuclear plant’s location is exposed to these risks, it is crucial to consider seismic threats right from the design phase in order to protect the asset from structural damage and, of course, safeguard the population.
Dampers are very effective in mitigating vibrations, and enhancing the stability, durability and safety of the structure.
VSL has developed a portfolio of solutions that can be adapted to better respond to the various needs of the nuclear projects:
- solutions to increase durability that incorporate VE dampers ;
- base isolation dissipative bearings (Lead Rubber or High Damping Rubber Bearings).
They have proven their efficiency and cost effectiveness in many structures both at the installation stage and during operation and maintenance.
As a specialist in structures and constructability, VSL can deliver a fully integrated approach (design, products, manufacturing, execution) in order to optimize the overall cost.
What are the VSL nuclear containment seismic protection solutions?
A pro-active approach comprising:
- Consulting of structural designer in the up-stream design phase to determine the best-for-project solution
- Pricing of the supply and installation of the components at the tender stage.
- Final sales of the supply and installation to the main or concrete contractor.