Heavy lifting can be used to overcome constraints inherent in the construction of nuclear containment structures when:
- the element’s weight is too high for standard construction methods
- complicated access requires an alternative construction scheme
- construction schedules are tight
The use of heavy lifting guarantees safety, thanks to the controlled nature of the operation and its highly developed protocols. This reduces the risks for workers, and ensures the integrity of the components being lifted while minimizing environmental impact and the time required.
VSL’s hydraulic strand jacking system is designed for the lifting, lowering, sliding, and tilting of heavy loads.
VSL has one of the largest pools of strand-jacks in the world as well as highly qualified personnel certified to work at nuclear plants. It has the advantage of very mature systems that have been tested to international standards (ISO 9001, ISO 14001, OHSAS 18001), enabling VSL to offer cost-effective and practical methods for carrying out complex operations with minimum impact on the load being handled.
A thorough understanding of structures means that VSL can define the best lifting solution – including the kinematics and any temporary structures needed – to achieve the optimum balance between logistics, overall cost, and the risks involved.
VSL’s heavy lifting equipment is all designed, assembled, and maintained in house.
VSL’s extensive expertise guarantees a complete range of services from the initial concept through to the execution of any kind of heavy lifting project. Our team of experts can provide:
- alternative construction schemes and innovative solutions
- assistance from our technical centers
- the hardware and associated engineering needed to take advantage of heavy lifting
VSL’s scope of services is flexible and can be tailored to any project. It can include:
- Feasibility studies and preliminary consultation for all kind of operations
- Project design and planning, equipment specification, scheduling, and budgeting
- Design, manufacture and supply of specialist equipment, and temporary structures
- Leasing and operation of VSL equipment
- Site supervision and execution of heavy lifting works