Prior to the construction of nuclear power plants, it is often necessary to perform specialist ground improvement works at the site, with a view to:
- improving the ground’s shear strength, stiffness, and permeability;
- reducing the risk of liquefaction in areas of potential seismic activity.
Clients can capitalize on VSL’s years of experience, up-to-date design expertise and skilled operations staff to gain considerable savings whilst achieving the design goals of stringent settlement control and mitigation of liquefaction risks.
As a specialist ground engineering contractor, VSL Intrafor can assist its clients by improving the ground’s shear strength, stiffness, and permeability, and by proposing the most suitable technical solutions to tackle any given challenge.
VSL Intrafor offers a broad spectrum of ground improvement technologies for power stations, including:
- vibro and dynamic compaction,
- stone columns,
- soil mixing,
- rigid inclusions,
- ground freezing,
- soil or rock grouting, and
- jet grouting.
A design & build package including:
- technical assistance and ground investigation during the project development phase;
- ground improvement solutions such as vibro and dynamic compaction, stone columns, soil mixing, ground freezing, soil or rock grouting, and jet grouting.
Special foundations and ground improvement can be delivered as a stand-alone package, but we recommend combining these works with a slab on grade solution, in order to optimize the overall costs of construction.