Bridge deck erection is often the most impressive work in the scope of a bridge construction project. It can be erected using various methods – all depending on the design specifications of the project, as well as the specific environment and access requirements. These methods can be:
- Span-by-span erection
- Balanced cantilever erection
- Incremental launching methods
- Heavy lifting
Depending on the project’s constraints, the spans can be constructed by utilising either cast-in-situ technology or by using prefabricated spans. Regardless, the overall aim is to guarantee safety and to speed up production and erection – to ensure financial savings and adherence to project timelines.
Buidling these complex or major structures also requires specialized formwork that addresses specific needs or requirements such as complexity and shape, size or volume, or work of a repetitive nature, requiring for short construction cycles.
With over 60 years of experience and many iconic references, VSL is a world leader in deck erection – specifically in precast segmental erection and heavy lifting.
We leverage a 3-pillar approach to offer you a 360° solution by combining:
- Engineering assistance to consultants in order to define the best-suited method of construction, cycles, and the overall project schedule to best optimise budgets,
- Specialist deck erection equipment and methods,
- Sound operational skills for project execution.
In addition, VSL has considerable experience in the design, supply, commissioning and operation of a wide variety of specialized form systems, including:
- Precast beams, piers and crossheads,
- Precast segments that are match-cast and post-tensioned,
- Precasting of full spans for long, straight and repetitive structures,
- Prefabricated bridge piers ready for assembly in the field,
- Special formwork for bridge pylons, especially for cable-stayed structures,
- Modular form-traveller systems to cast segments in situ,
- Movable scaffold support systems to cast full spans in situ.